Monday 1 September 2014

A big decision and a new chapter

Apologies for the lack of blogging over the past few months. I have been extremely busy and it has been crazily chaotic and very stressful.

But things are about to change! So here is a little warning that this blog contains some emotive text.
 
So a lot has happened over the past few months and I have had to make some life-changing decisions and important career choices. There has been some amazing moments but other times where I have felt so confused and lost. There have been points recently in which I have stood back and thought where is my path taking me? What other options do I have?
 
I was quite happy in my job and working for a global company, but felt restricted in the pathways I could take and felt I had a huge gap in my knowledge in my area of work. I also began feeling the restraints of being far away from home, family and friends and though I had amazing weekends when friends and family came to visit, it made me realise how much I miss them. Though its only really a few hundred miles away it began to feel like I was on the other side of the world. It was hard to get home and in fact hard to get anywhere in this area with the poor transport links on both road and rail; taking over 6 hours to get home at a great expense. I am a strong person and have managed okay being far away, but realising what you miss and that there is a lot more to making your life happy; it began to make things that little more difficult. You only have one life and you need to make the most of the opportunities available to you surrounded by the people you know and love.
 
I felt I was not making the most of my opportunities. Therefore I looked about studying a masters, something that would give me so much more knowledge in my area of work and many more opportunities at more locations across the UK.
 
After feeling confident with an application to Imperial College London, I was devastated to find that an error with one of my references meant that it was not accepted and I was not notified by the university of the problem with the reference or an impending deadline which surpassed. Nothing I could do, including providing another reference immediately would change there minds. It was horrible feeling knowing that it wasn't even me that caused the problem and that it would be a whole year for me to apply again, a whole year feels like a very long time.
 
A short while later I applied for the same degree at the University of Leeds and I am happy to announce that I have recently been accepted. Its something that sounds exciting and challenging but definitely important for my career. This has meant that I would be leaving my job. An extremely tough decision and very upsetting having to hand in my notice. I have been through everything over and over but this seems the best thing. It will make me a lot happier and provide further extensive knowledge for my area of work. This would also mean that I will be returning home back to the good ol North West! Which is very exciting!
 
It means a very challenging, a very hectic and a very financially tight few months!  
 
I have enjoyed my time on the East Coast, and find the area beautiful (though there is a severe lack of hills.) But I am excited to return home I have some fantastic memories and some epic weekends with friends and family over. There have been some great things to come out of this adventure, now knowing a lot more about myself, a lot more about people and a lot more about life. There are memories I will never forget and moments that I will cherish forever.
 
 
I hope you feel along with me that it is the right decision.

Its a new chapter.
A big challenge.
A new adventure.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment