Sunday 23 June 2013

Memorable Life Moments: A Leap Of Faith

New Zealand 2011, Land of extreme sports! Skiing, paragliding, bungee jumping, rafting and lots more. Whilst travelling to New Zealand in 2011 I made it a promise that I would do something crazy and extreme. I didn't fancy some bungee jump and had already done swimming with wild dolphins but I came across a leaflet of a canyon swing in Queenstown. Therefore when we arrived in Queenstown for those two days, I ensured I was booked on it!
 
Silly me, however thought it was a good idea to go on a huge bar crawl around Queenstown, the night before! I was pretty hungover the next day ready for my canyon swing. I spent the morning attempting a legendary Queenstown FerrBurger, which was huge and a bad idea, adding to me feeling a little puke... the rest saw me worrying about jumping off a massive cliff and pointing out bins on the street in case I was going to puke!
 
But I managed to get to the location and got excited and bit nervous with what I was about to do...
 
So here are some stats:
June 15th 2011
109m high
60m freefall
200m swing!
 
 
So I had to jumps and decided to do the first as a tandem, thinking aww it will be better, get to jump with one of my best pals and thinking it will be little less nerve racking. Well infact the tandem is one of the worst ones! Given a 5 pants rating from the canyon swingers, as you've probably got double the weight and go the furthest!
 
 
 
So it came to the point to jump and we both thought we were actually going to get pushed off and waited for them not realising we were supposed to jump ourselves. But we eventually did, or well my legs just collapsed beneath me and down down we went....
 
 
See us?

 The second jump was a little less nerve racking so I went with something a little more extreme. I was tied to a garden patio chair and had to lean out backwards over the edge!
 
 
 
I would then flip head over heels and down down down into the valley below. I had to push myself off slowly walking backwards but being the lovely staff people they are, they kept stopping me just as I pushed myself over. Eventually the guy just pushed me, and without being ready I was plunging towards the ground.
 
 
 
 
They would then pull you back up in your harness to the platform which was scary in itself!
 
It was really fun and I would definitely do it again!
Another Memorable Life Moment and a Big Leap Of Faith!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment