Friday 25 October 2013

Alton Towers: Scare Fest

So I have had a busy week! Went to see Bastille on Tuesday, watched the new Tom Hanks Captain Phillips film (which was awesome) and then on Wednesday went to Alton Towers!
 
I have been to Alton Towers many times and nearly every time it has been sunny! This time did not disappoint either. I was lucky to choose the sunniest day within this stormy weather we have been having. I was very excited to go as it was the first time I went on Smiler the new 14 loop roller coaster!
 
Also another amazing thing about going this week (or next) is that it is Scare Fest, 2 weeks of events surrounding Halloween. The park is open till 9pm and you can ride the coasters in the dark!
 
After a very long journey stuck in traffic, we arrived later than planned at midday. But as the park was open till late it didn't matter. It was extremely quiet, which meant that there were hardly any queues. I got on all the coasters including the Smiler, after a short mechanical delay (which seemed to happen often) and it was worth the wait! Though it seemed that not all features were working on the "Arms" the coaster itself was great! It makes you completely dizzy and has a few surprises in their too! The vertical lift hill is a crazy and great way to get up high. From the very start it is mind boggling and surprises you! Another great thing is that it lasts a long time, ride time is much longer than other rides in the park and the numerous cars ensures that the queue moves quickly. In total it was only about a 1 hr wait which is great for a new ride but only as it was a quiet day.
 
 
 
We got on all the rides with time in between, including the log flume, which was very regrettable as it was my idea and wasn't the warmest of days. I was at the front and laughed that the boat covered most of my body. But after the first drop I completely regretted it. Along with being splashed in the face the weight at the front tipped the boat forward so a waterfall of water came pouring over my body along with the water rushing to the front of the boat. I was drenched and two more drops to go!
I was cold and wet for the rest of the day!
 
The great thing about scarefest is that the theme park is full of Halloween decorations and characters roaming around. There are also free mazes you can enter and further more scarier mazes you can pay for. The free mazes were great! I went in the zombie one, which may have been a little short but was great! Amazing detail in set design and the characters very realistic! My friends shot through screaming leaving me alone!
 
 
As it went dark at around 6pm there was 3 hours of darkness to roam the park and ride the coasters! Being in a theme park at night is amazing especially walking through gloomy wood! My favourite rides in the dark are of course The Smiler , Thirteen and Air with sections in which you have no idea where you are going as you go through the forest!
 
I would definitely recommend going! Its on next week too and it was great going during such a quiet period when I got to go on most rides twice!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment