Tuesday 31 December 2013

My top 20 tunes of 2013

So 2013 was another great year for music with the return of the huge American stars Eminem, Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus. Along with huge hits from Daft Punk, Pharrel Williams and Robin Thicke (though wont be appearing on my list.) British stars did great with One Direction and Little Mix hitting the states and around the world. British talent was at an all time high with hits from Rudimental, Naughty Boy, Calvin Harris, Ellie Goulding and newcomers Bastille and Sam Smith. All doing great in the charts. There has also been a huge amount of talent which hasn't reached the top 40s but are amazing songs. This list comprises my top 20 songs of 2013, with a few that I have probably forgotten about!
 
20. Arojack - The Spark 
This is a pretty recent song and is a great feel good club chart hit!
 
 
19. Lawson - Juliet
Not a huge fan of Lawson but this year they have released some good tunes, including this crazy catchy song, which is one of my guilty pleasures of 2013!
 
 
18. Capital Cities - Safe and Sound
Now I heard this played a few times on the radio and really liked it. The brass section over the chorus is amazing and really catchy!
 
 
17. Foals - My Number
This feels like a very long time ago since this song came out. Out at the very start of the year. This song broke through onto the top 40.
 
 
16. Twenty One Pilots - Holding on to you 
Another song I am not really sure where I heard it, maybe once or twice on the radio and again just had to buy it. Got such a dramatic build up!
 
 
15. Bruno Mars - Treasure
This seems to have been around for ages and has been a fave all year. I wasn't such a huge fan at first but cant get enough of it now and is such a good feel-good song :) gets me grooving!
 
 
14. Lady Gaga - Do What U Want
Another guilty pleasure. I wasn't too keen on Lady G's new stuff and wasn't amazed by this one. But after hearing it a few times it is extremely catchy and in my opinion one of her best. I caught a live piano performance on a tv show a while back and it just sounded amazing. Still waiting on her crazy video for it though! which I believe is to be released on the 29th November.
 
13. Eminem - Berzerk
Eminem returned to the scene this year with some great tunes hitting the top spot every week! With so many different songs in the top 10! This was one of my favourites and I quite like The Monster also.
 
 
12. Matt Cardle feat. Mel C  - Loving You 
Another guilty pleasure now from an unlikely source. An old x factor winner who was dropped by Simon Cowell had one of his best singles to date joined by Spice Girl Mel C. Such a good song with harmonies so perfect. 
 
11. Chloe Howl - Paper Heart
Now I love this song so much, its been played on the radio a few times but I have seen her perform this live supporting bastille and she was great! Definitely keep an eye out for her next year!
 
 
10. One Republic - Counting Stars
Who could not like this epic?! Its definitely one of the songs of 2013!
 
 
9. Katy Perry - Roar
 What a great single to return with! A feisty pop hit and wooah what a video
drool!
 
 
8. Avicii  - Wake Me Up
He has had so many good hits this year! And introduced the country - dance (Farm-House) craze this was definitely his best. 
 
 
7. Macklemore - Can't Hold Us
He has been one of the best new acts of 2013 with epic songs Thrift Shop, Same Love and this one!
 
 
6. Naughty Boy - la la la
 Naughty Boy has been great! Sam Smith on the lyrics for this song and another great song by Disclosure has made this one of the best of 2013.
 
 
5. Arctic Monkeys - Why'd you only call me when you're high
 The return of AM and their epic album was definitely a high of 2013.
 
4. Bastille - Laura Palmer
 My favourite new band Bastille had some great tracks including this great one! So glad it was released as a single!
 
 
3. Two Door Cinema Club - Changing of the Seasons
 This song should have done so much better in the charts it is a huge tune!! Remixed my Madeon aswell!
 
 
2. Sebastian Ingrosso - Reload
 My song of 2012 was Sebastian Ingrosso's Calling and this one matched in the awesomeness I cant help but turn it up loud and rave to this!
 
1. Bastille - Pompeii / Of the Night
 Okay so I have two number ones, but they are by the same band and one is a cover. But they are amazing and the song Pompeii was a huge favourite and when I heard the cover Of The Night at the beginning of the year it's great to see it being released and doing so well in the chart! A No.1 and No.2 in the same year! What a year they have had!
 
Lets see what Next year brings! I think it will be kicked off with Pitbull Vs Kesha Timber!

No comments:

Post a Comment