Monday 1 April 2013

Mountains, Lakes, Snow, Wine, Log Cabin, Easter Egg and a hot tub! - My Easter Weekend

So I have literally just got back from my amazing long weekend away to the Welsh Snowdonian Mountains which this weekend looked more like a scene from an Alpine Getaway and in places it even reminded me a lot of New Zealand. It was a great Easter weekend and stayed with family in a "Log Cabin" (Brown Caravan) but it was really really nice and even had a hot tub! My weekend was supposed to involve white water rafting but due to the heavy snow last weekend it was cancelled due to the amount of trees down in the river because of the weight of the snow.
 
 
So this was the little log cabin we had surrounded by snow. I finally got my wish to go to an alpine location, in a log cabin, in the mountains, surrounded by snow; though I was expecting to be doing that over a Christmas in the Alps and not over an Easter in Wales. But it was really good and the mountains looked pretty spectacular, the snow was pretty deep and we had to dig our way out of the double doors to get easier access to the hot tub. So it used every night drinking wine, eating Easter eggs underneath thousands of stars which were really clear as we were in the middle of nowhere! It might have been -8C at night but that hot tub kept you toasty and warm apart from when you stuck your head out!
 
 
 
 
Llangollen
 
Saw some amazing little Welsh villages and its shocking to see how remote these places are and how Welsh they are, nearly everybody spoke in Welsh and menus, signs and instructions were all in Welsh as well as English.







Llangollen

It was also almost going back into time, there were no supermarkets and petrol stations that were basically corner shops! It was so very remote and in some parts it was sad to see that they weren't coping well with the recession and a few rough areas. Though the touristy areas were much better and I felt that the Snowdonian Mountains seemed a lot bigger and vaster than the Lake District. I felt that you could travel around the mountains more and it seemed a lot less touristy.



Barmouth

It was a great place to visit even in the cold weather though being along the lake or huge rivers in the summer would be great! A dip in the water would definitely be more tempting than it looked this weekend. We visited Llangollen, Barmouth, Port Talbot and Betws-y-Coed which were all beautiful little places and all of which had Steam Trains. There was a lot of Railways that had been brought back into use.





Barmouth

Driving round the mountains really reminded me of driving around the Southern Alps in New Zealand. Arriving here at Barmouth made me think of New Zealand even more! It reminded me of Kaikoura so much, next to the sea, a railway bridge just like this, lobster restaurants, mountains across the bay. It was just amazing!






Lake Bala



 I managed to learn a bit of Welsh too, Shamai is Hello,
Croeso is welcome,
ARAF is SLOW haha
and Darganfod (Which includes my name - Dargan) is Discovery.







Some places were so snowy that the car parks were made up of
huge piles of snow and all these JCBs that had been clearing it!
 

Overall a fantastic weekend, definitely a place to visit and I am sure I will be returning again soon. Hope everyone else had a good Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment