Tuesday 29 January 2013

Man Flu

Man Flu; a phrase that refers to the idea that men, when they have a cold, exaggerate and claim they have flu.

However, this week an article in The Telegraph looks at how neuroscientist Dr Amanda Ellison believes that men really do suffer more from colds and coughs than women. Her studies show that men have more temperature receptors in the brain which causes them to experience symptoms more severely.
The area of the brain that has these temperature receptors, used to increase temperature to fight off the bugs, is larger in men than woman and means that they feel rougher.

So why, you say, am I doing a blog on Man Flu?
Well it is because I myself as I write this am in bed nursing a severe illness :(
I have had to take two days off from my job and I believe I don't have man flu but something more serious, such as food poisoning or the dreaded noro virus!
My symptoms: Vomiting, upset stomach, headache, achy joints, severe cough, no voice and a lack of energy!

Poor old me, I hope I feel better soon!!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment